Cycle Camp / Cycle Maintenance Evening
This section provides support information to run a cycle camp over 2 or 3 days (or more). It is based on the experiences of running cycle camps over many year, over the first bank holiday in May. usually from Friday night to Monday afternoon. It also contains information on running a cycle maintenance evening before the camp.
- Determine outline route (Ordnance Survey Get a Map is a great way to produce the route and print it out)
- Identify potential accommodation
- Check route and accommodation
- Update route with any changes
- Book accommodation
- Book transport
- Send out paperwork to scouts
- Identify leaders and helpers who will cycle or provide support in cars etc
- Talk to scouts (if required to encourage take up)
- Briefing meeting to leaders and helpers who will be cycling or providing support in cars etc (if required)
- Section meeting covering bike checks, road safety etc
- Cycle Ride (2-3 days)
- Clear away kit
- Obtain feedback
Cycle Maintenance Evening
Run an evening with the following bases:
- Puncture repair and taking tyre off and on a wheel
- Bike physical check
- Cycle exercise - turning right/left, junctions, weaving in and out of cones etc
- Cycle check list - spot faults and quiz
- Highway code and quiz
We also run the fitness challenge as part of cycle camp 4-6 weeks before cycle camp. The email and log is attached below - fitness challenge.
Attached below are document to support the above.
Last update on Mon 08 Aug 2016 by Alan Comber.